Shawn Bible Law Main: (706) 375-2145
Ringgold: (706) 935-8864
Shawn Bible - Lawyer in NW Georgia

If Convicted of DUI will I have to get an Ignition Interlock Device installed on my car?

How do I get an Ignition Interlock Device

Georgia law requires that anyone convicted of a second or subsequent DUI within 5 years must install and utilize an ignition interlock device on any vehicle that they own.  O.C.G.A. §40-6-391(c).  A list of providers can be found at

How much will an Ignition Interlock Device cost?

Cost of installation varies but is typically around $65 to $200.  There is a monthly monitoring fee, which is typically around $75 a month for 6 months.  A removal fee of around $100 may be charged.  Total cost for six months is typically around $450 to $750.


How is the Interlock Device Installed?

Installation can be done on any car.  However, the vehicle must pass an electrical inspection.  The device also must be serviced for monthly maintenance and calibration every thirty days.


How does the Ignition Interlock work?

The device is installed by a trained technician.  When the key is placed in the ignition the car will not start until the device is used.  Typically, there is a loud beep and the driver blows into the device.  If the driver passes the test then the car starts.  As the car is moving, the device will ask for retests at designated intervals, typically, there is a time frame for the car to be stopped and moved to a safe location.  All tests are recorded by the device and downloaded at the monthly maintenance appointments.

Non-Georgia residents and Interlock Devices

Defendants who move out of state cannot satisfy the interlock requirement using an out of state interlock service provider.  DDS cannot issue an ignition interlock driving permit to a nonresident.

What is an Administrative License Suspension?


ALS and Implied Consent is a complicated subject.  You should always consult an attorney after a DUI arrest especially if you have been given notice of an Administrative License Suspension.  Below is a list of some of the most common questions related to this subject:

How is the Administrative Hearing different from the trial of my case? 

The administrative license suspension process is handled separately from the prosecution of the criminal charge and may result in a driver losing his or her driving privilege before the criminal charge is resolved.  The ruling made by the Administrative Law Judge in an ALS hearing does not affect the prosecution of the criminal charge, even if the administrative law judge reverses the suspension.  A conviction for DUI will result in a separate suspension of the driving privilege.  O.C.G.A. 40-5-63(a) or 40-5-58.  However, the defendant is entitled to credit the period of the administrative suspension toward satisfaction of the suspension for the conviction.  O.C.G.A. 40-5-67.2(b).

What is Implied Consent?

When a driver is arrested for driving under the influence, the arresting officer reads the violator the appropriate implied consent notice and asks him or her to submit to a test of his or her blood, breath or urine for the purpose of determining whether he or she is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The language of the implied consent notice is found in O.C.G.A. 40-5-67 (b) and is copied on the implied consent cards used by law enforcement officer.  The current cards are orange.

How do I know if I have a pending ALS suspension?

The officer takes possession of the driver’s license, and the Form 1205 contains a thirty-day temporary driving permit for the driver to carry in lieu of his or her license.  O.C.G.A. 40-5-67.  If the defendant does not appeal the suspension, it will go into effect thirty days from the date the Form 1205 is issued to the driver by the officer.

How do I contest an ALS suspension?

You have ten days to respond to notice of an ALS suspension and send in the required filing fee.  There is a $150.00 filing fee that must be sent with the appeal.  The date on which the appeal is postmarked rather than the date on which it is mailed, is determinative of its timeliness.  If you do not respond within 10 days, your license will be suspended.  If you do respond then a hearing will be scheduled in front of an Administrative Law Judge.  This will be in a different “court” then where your actual DUI case will be heard.  Typically, this administrative hearing will be heard prior to your actual court date.

How long will the ALS suspension last?

This Administrative License Suspension per se DUI (based upon BAC over .08) is for one year with early reinstatement allowed after 30 days.  ALS suspensions based upon refusals will last one year.  No permit is allowed and no early reinstatement.

What happens at the Administrative License Hearing

The DDS sends the Defendants appeal to the Office of State Administrative Hearings (OSAH) and the suspension effective date is delayed until the appeal is resolved.  DDS then issues a 90-day extension of the temporary driving permit and further extensions can be granted.  At the hearing, the case will be heard by an Administrative Law Judge and he arresting officer will represent DDS.  Many attorneys negotiate resolutions to both the administrative suspension and the pending criminal case while meeting with the officer at the ALS hearing.  The officer can withdraw the Form 1205 if an agreement is reached.  If an agreement is not reached then a hearing will be held.


What is the State’s Burden of Proof at the ALS hearing

In assessing whether the defendant’s driver’s license was suspended properly, the Administrative Law Judge must determine that the arresting officer has proven the following four elements: DUI arrest, correct implied consent read, test or refusal and if test the per se results.  If all was done properly, the Judge will issue a suspension.

What happens if my license is suspended at the ALS hearing but my case is later dismissed or I win at trial?

The ALS suspension ends upon proper notice by the trial court.  The defendant can then go to DDS and have their license returned.

Can I get a work or temporary permit if convicted of DUI?

What is a work or temporary permit?

If convicted of a first offense DUI you may be eligible for a temporary or work permit if you are a Georgia resident and over 21.  However, work permits cannot be used to operate commercial vehicles.

Where can I drive on a work or temporary permit?

These limited driving permits allow a person to continue driving while his/her driving privilege is suspended or revoked, but only for limited, specific reasons:  Business purposes, school, medical care (including obtaining prescriptions, substance abuse treatment, driver improvement).  However, it cannot be used to take family members to school, work, etc. (not advisable even if on the way to licensee’s work, school, etc.).